Roaster Level 2 - SCA Intermediate & Profile Development Skills QUITO, ECUADOR
Class Size Limited To 4 Attendees For Maximum Hands On Training
10 through 12 May 2023, at Botanica Laboratorio de Cafe - Quito, Ecuador
We will be teaching this class in English and in Spanish.
The Academy of Coffee Excellence's Roaster Level 2 - SCA Intermediate & Profile Development Skills is a 3-day, plus assigned pre-course work, roaster training course that adds significantly to the scope of, and requirements for, the SCA Intermediate Certificate.
The Roaster Level 2 Course establishes the craft of roasting with 3 days of in-depth coursework and skills practice in the areas of coffee analysis and evaluation via cupping, sample roasting, production roasting and moving a sample roast to a production roast profile.
You will practice and build the skills of
- Cupping 2 different sets of sample roasts and selecting a coffee that is consistent with who you are as a roaster
- Roasting a minimum of 4 sample roasts
- Roasting a minimum of 10 small batch production roasts
- Cupping and calibrating with Q Instructors and Q Assistant Instructors
- Developing a roast profile by moving a coffee from a sample, through flavor potential exploration and into a production roast
Academy of Coffee Excellence Roaster Level 2 Course graduates will demonstrate a proficiency with the scientific and technical elements of coffee roasting. You will also demonstrate basic quality control process skills for developing and producing production roasts. This course lays the groundwork for the ongoing development of your career in coffee.
It is important for you to know that educational offerings can vary widely in depth and breadth of instructional content among coffee educators. Always ask for a listing of the skills that you will be developing so that you can accurately compare the educational programming and experience that you will be receiving.
Your registration includes
- Tuition for the training and education
- Academy of Coffee Excellence workbook
- Academy of Coffee Excellence cupping spoon
- SCA Intermediate study guide
- Morning coffee & snacks
The SCA Written Exam Fee Is Not Included
Important Content Notice & Disclaimer
August Classes To Be Scheduled Soon
Admission into this course assumes that you have roasted coffee and possess the following knowledge and skills for us to build upon and further develop.
- Knowledge of the types of heat energy transfer
- Skill of controlling heat energy transfer
- Knowledge of the elements of a roast profile graph
- Knowledge of the phases of a roast profile
- Skill of calculating and applying rates of rise
- Skill of evaluating a roasts Flavor, Aftertaste, Acidity, Body & Balance
If you have not roasted coffee or if you do not possess the above knowledge and skills, you should take the Roaster Levels 1 & 2 - SCA Foundation & Intermediate Comprehensive Roasting Course linked here. It starts one day earlier and only costs $140 more.
This course builds on the skills and knowledge above. The foundational knowledge and experience listed above will not be taught in the course.
Registration cancellation policy